Saturday, April 09, 2005

Signs of Wisdom

The light turned green and and I pushed on the gas, let out the clutch and accelerated into Noble, Oklahoma, the Rose Rock capital of the world. The purpose of my visit on this crisp spring morning was strictly business. Dave's Small Engine Repair was my destination, my venerable Snapper lawnmower the intended cargo.
My tachometer crested three thousand and I made a clean two to three shift, noticing the various quality establishments sidelining Highway 77, Noble's main drag. No doubt the future economic viability of ma and pa's 'lil joint is bleak with a new Fatdonald's going up alongside America's Drive-In.
I was speeding going 30 miles per hour when I noticed Noble's finest, the Noble United Methodist Church, though it wasn't the brick or mortar that gripped me.
An often abused, replace-a-letter sign sat on the lawn of the smallish brick structure, daring passers by to gander, gawk and gain. Gain what you ask? Wisdom. Wisdom in the form of a stirring little proverb. A proverb not unlike those you've seen before.

"Dusty Bibles make dirty lives," the black letters spelled out.

A diesel dually chugged past me with a wave going the other way, Rover in the truck bed smiling. I made a left turn into the parking lot of Dave's and got out, having arrived at my destination. Somewhere a dog barks and a lawn tractor starts its engine. I pull the glass door open with a jingle, smell a mix of cigarette smoke and oil and hear "How can I help you!?"

Just another trip to the Rose Rock capital of the world.

3 comments:

keely said...

Welcome to the party, JStu!
I greet you open-armedly.

OneoftheServens said...

Glad you're here.
I'm expecting a lot out of you.

Sydneyann said...

post bra, post!