Saturday, April 23, 2005

tracks, treadmills, trekking, athletics

Sorry it's so long. Just stick with it. I humor myself at the end.



Is it just me or does it seem like there are more people jogging, treadmilling, trekking, etcetera than there used to be. Maybe it's just that time of year, as the weather turns and people cease their hibernation, or maybe I just never noticed the sheer amount of people who are working themselves out.

This term working out is odd as well, most likely coined by Denise Austin, The Simmons or the like as a catch phrase back in a former decade. That is another matter however.

It seems like there are more people exercising, as well as those who do it as a religious practice. "I can't, I have to go workout." Like they walk into the Huff and punch a timecard. "Well, got my eight hours in."

I admit it takes some planning and persistence to keep up some type of consistent exercise, but it seems there are a good number at the college level who take this too far. I know one guy who I met at the Huff who goes to "work out" 7 days a week. He has a personal trainer and thinks rather highly of himself.

It seems people like this used to be a small faction of "health nuts." Perhaps going to the gym 7 days a week would be odd and excessive in years past, but now many wouldn't bat an eye at the thought. I'm not saying exercising is bad in any means, as I myself would probably tend on the excessive part of the exercise spectrum.

I think society as a whole has a jacked up view of exercise as it is directly linked to physical appearance and self-esteem. Gym time = nice bod + self-worth.

It seems we should all want to exercise out of health concerns and to take care of our bodies that aren't really our own, but does that mean it's ok to run 15 miles everyday or lift for 3 hrs everyday? Of course it's different for different people, and what could be an "Idol of Endurance" as it were for some could be just a trip to the gym for others. Where's the balance? Do you see this issue of over working out as a common collegiate paradigm?

ATHLETICS

Tell you what. It's those who play the intramural sports who have the right idea of exercise. They've got no other pretense other than destroying the blue jersey team in sport X. They get their exercise not on a machine that looks ridiculous (yeah I use the ellipticals too) but from running, passing, slamming, hitting, dribbling etc, for several hours each week in games that have little significance.

However, as these intramural people seem to have a proper idea of the true motivation behind exercising, I have to say I despise intramurals. Mainly because I have ZERO COORDINATION for just about every sport. Fishing, bowling, sure-I got those covered. Put a basketball in my hands and I'll drop it before I begin dribbling.

For me, the solo forms of exercise are more fitting. The running, the biking, fishing, bowling. I'm just so bad at everything else. Why would anyone want to play friggin basketball? It's so boring...

I think my lack of talent hit home for me this week as I played Dan at ping-pong in the dorm. He throttled me five games to zero. The last game it was like 21-3, seriously. I couldn't keep the ball on the table for a single volley. We played pool after this with similar results. Dan knocked the 8 in with 5 of my solid balls proudly remaining on the felt.

I think my folks had a finite amount of talent to pass on in this area and my older siblings, the two older ones specifically (no offense chubbs, but you don't have the magic either) sapped all athletic ability from my being.

Thus, I do what I can. It's hard not to be successful running around a track, or hopping on two wheels and rolling about. I can do that. I like that. Throw a ball in the mix with rules and a coordination requisite--I'm OUT.

You people who hate exercise apart from sports--shame on you, at least you have coordination.

2 comments:

Norman said...

John,

We should really work together on this. You give me some of your drive to actually get in shape (alas, my potentially svelt physique is being wasted!), and I'll pass on my great wisdom of kuzushi (the ability to maintain your center while destroying that of your opponent, for all you un-martial-arted non-asian folk).

J Stu said...

sounds good thenorm. let's hit it as soon as the school year blows over. and actually, I am asian. from my mom's side...