If you've read previous posts you'll know I'll be at OU two more semesters rather than one. The additional semester idea will be implemented for one singular reason: opportunity. This past year has been very busy for me, and I don't want my remaining time at OU to be an 'ell 'ole.
In the fall I'll have 9 hrs of classes and 8 in the spring. When someone calls me to do something I want to be able to say 'yes, I'll be there.' When I talk to people and say 'we should hang out' (perhaps the most unfaithful statement of the modern world) I want to say 'how about tomorrow at lunch' directly after that. Opportunity.
With the way my schedule is looking, it appears I'll have the freedom to make good on these claims.
I've already had comments from people about my relatively lax schedule for next year. "What are you going to do," they ask in shock. In our culture, having unscheduled chronology is not normal and perhaps even scary. I'm looking forward to the maw.
Over the past year I've learned that time is one of our greatest assets, and something that other people and things will always be trying to consume. Investing time in people and things is good. Balance, however, is key -- knowing when and on what to put time into.
The good thing is that we're in charge.
I've learned to be more discretionary. More careful about over-committing.
My advice (for you and me): under commit. relish your seconds. accomplish more with your minutes. have free hours for others -- there are many opportunities.
No comments:
Post a Comment