Wednesday, June 28, 2006

'The Greatest Nation on Earth'

I played for a troop retirement ceremony today with the army band. It was the usual bit: a touch of pre-music, awards for the retirees, a few speeches and some closer music. Budda-bing, budda-boom.

One of the speeches by the post's commanding general (he's a 3-star) got me thinking. In the speech, the general made the classic hyperbolic military reference of the United States being the "greatest nation on Earth."

To be fair, I don't really know what he exactly meant by "greatest" (greatest military maybe) but in any regard this is a statement I think we have to be careful with.

Being an American and in the military, obviously I have pride in the US. There are many elements of America I think of approvingly. Indeed I am thankful for growing up in The 'States and the many blessings derived therein.

But, to say we're THE greatest in the world? I don't think we can say that. I think it's unfair for us to say this, just like it's unfair for any other foreigner to say this about his country.

I think it's ok to make distinctions and to call out certain societal elements as perhaps better. But the blanket statement is dicey.

My logic flows this way:

Countries are made up of people. Without their people they wouldn't be distinct. To say one country is better than another means, at the core, one people group is better than another. I'm better than you because of where I come from, essentially is the theme. But we're all sinners in need of Christ. For the Jews and the Greeks, no? Think big "C" Church.

In my experience of traveling abroad, this particular arrogant attitude many Americans exert often angers foreigners. "Hey, I'm over visiting your country and it's really cool, but basically America is the real deal." Something like that.

I think in traveling abroad, one thing I've taken home is a need of balance in evaluating foreign peoples and places. Comparisons are a natural action when traveling somewhere new. I'd say it's impossible not to contrast where you come from with where you're visiting. We just do it. I do it. But we have to be careful with what we do with these comparisons.

What I've realized is that the American way does not equate to the right way necessarily. "Why don't you talk American?"

What I think to be a "better" aspect in American life might be irrelevant to a foreigner, or outright offensive even.

In England, many of the toilets function less astutely than ours, and many of the houses are smaller and older. It doesn't degrade the country, it's just how it is. But in my experience, the Brits seem to be less attached to their material things than we hoarding Americans. They're often happy with what they got. And why shouldn't they be? They buy less crap and travel more.

And I could go on...

But basically there seems to be a line between healthy nationalism and patriotic hubris. The latter can be dangerous and offensive. And I'm still trying to find my balance. Being in the military makes it somewhat tricky for me...

We should praise our countries of origin and take pride in our Motherlands. Sing your anthem loudly, know your country's history, wear Union Jack socks and Star-Spangled underwear. But countries are made and defined by people, and people are pretty messed up.

Enter: The Gospel.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Can you compare people groups? Can you say one civilization is (generally) better than another? Can you take the measuring stick of one civilization and hold it up to another? Hmm. You make me think. (Bad, bad JStu)

- said...

As inside as message as it is, we can't let it get you. :) I'm impressed by this, my friend.

Not too sure what else to say, heh. And some greetings from Singapore! :D:D