Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Old wizards never die

I finished Harry Potter book six this past week. If you've not read it and want to, I wouldn't continue reading this post. It will spoil the book for you like it was spoiled for me by an 11-year-old gal with the last name Serven. But I'm over it...

So I expected him to buy the farm — Dumbledore that is. Though I didn't expect Snape to do the deed. That Avada Kadavra. It's a bugger.

But in the wake of the mighty headmaster's passing, I'm thinking it all makes sense. Indeed, Albus's murder was necessary to cement him among the greats.

Think about it: Gandalf, Aslan, Obi-Wan Kenobi. They all took a dive. The Balrog, The White Witch and Darth Vader helped them. But their deaths only elevated their status — pushing them into the elites club (admission allowable only by means of violent death).

Although Gandalf, Aslan and Obi-Wan eventually bounced back, seemingly bigger and better than before, Dumbledore's expiration still puts him up there on the magical who's who. I wouldn't put it past J.K. to bring Dumby back from the dead, though.

We'll see what happens in book seven. Hopefully it will be shorter. 600 pages is A LOT. I don't care what you're writing about.

I also think that Harry is a horcrux for Voldemort. My take is Harry will have to go down in the end with the dark lord. Any bets?

3 comments:

Annie said...

JK doesn't seem to be the type that will kill all the bad guys, bring back all the good guys, and have everyone get married (though I like those stories and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is awesome). My take - Harry bites the big one, Voldemort is gone, and Hermione becomes Minister of Magic (or whatever that position is called).
At least it wasn't as long as 4.

Brittany Smith said...

My brother and I are agreement about Harry being the last horcrux. We think she will pull a reversal from book one and Ron with have to put Harry down for the good of the world. The jury is still out for me whether or not Snape is truly evil or not. Dumbledore's last plea of "please" is obscure. The turning point for Snape to the light side away from Voldemort was (I think) when he killed Lily Potter, the only woman he ever loved and the only person who ever stood up for him and treated him well. I don't think he is going back to V now or ever...

Yay Mariokart! Della tells me you like Latin/South America. Let's be friends.

Julie said...

Being the eternal optimist that I am, I hope that Harry doesn't have to go down with Voldemort. :( That would be awful. and it wouldn't be a very good children's book anymore...hehe. I also think that, although the sixth book was a long 600 pages, the seventh book is going to have to be at least 1000 for J.K. to get everything in. It was a good and very entertaining 600 pages, though. I don't know what I would cut out. yay Harry Potter!