Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Casting the Vote for 733



Well, it's election day. People are voting for people, marking large, unwieldly cardstock sheets with special markers.

Excited voters saunter in to their respective stations to make their opinions known.

"Name?"

"Nanci Smith, with an 'I', republican."

And her name is marked off the list by a man wearing a World War II veterans cap.

"Next please," he says and the line shuffles onward toward the golden cubicles of democracy.

And for voters here in the Sooner State, one question on the ballot is of particular interest.

It's state question #733.

You see, since 1959, with the approval of section 6 of article 28, we here in Oklahoma have been unable to buy anything from retail liquor stores while the election polls are open.

Why?

Because the liquor stores are by law not allowed to be open whilst the polls are.

So, fellow voters, upholders of the free societal paradigm, when you're considering such weighty issues as state governor, state legislators, commissioners and the like, take pause to consider number 733.

Cause you know, the people we elect today? They'll be gone in a matter of days and weeks, having lit their political torches and held them aloft for a time to illuminate the lives of their Okie brethren.

But the freedom to purchase booze on election days?

That's timeless.

So vote yes on S.Q. #733.

Let's make a better Oklahoma for our children.

4 comments:

keely said...

Wow! I didn't know that was on the ballot! What was the result?

J Stu said...

Let's just say in Oklahoma there will be a lot more drinking on election day...

So yes, thankfully it passed. But barely...stupid okies...

keely said...

Impressive.
I forgot you asked for this:
www.statcounter.com

Sam Negus said...

People of Oklahoma, you need to know that JOHN STUART DID NOT VOTE. He stayed at home.

I went to the polls, and I am constitutionally not eligible to vote.

Chubchub.