Thursday, November 30, 2006

Run for Fun

A long time ago I set a mental goal (I intentionally didn't write it down so disappointment would be minimal if I didn't reach it) to run a marathon before I had children. Now this might seem like an odd goal for an 18-year-old to make, but for certain 18-year-old males the idea of having children might as well be like a vacation to Mars — something that would probably be interesting, but still way way (way) off in the distant, technologically advanced future.

But at any rate, it appears as though I'll be crossing the finish line of my first marathon far before, well, I lasciviously cross other lines and make babies. But there WAS that Zeppelin concert back in '68. What was her name again? Man alive! Those were crazy times. But things were different then...

So yeah, the race I'm planning on running is the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon in April. Last year I ran in the marathon on a relay team, but come April 29, 2007, I'm hoping to run the whole shebang.

And in doing a little training research, I came up with this 18-week program. It's hardly Rex-Kwan Do worthy, but I think for my purposes it'll get the job done and hopefully see me through my first marathon without serious injury and maybe having a little bit of fun.(?) But I'm not banking on that last part. Although there could be parts of the training that are fun. Like Fridays and Mondays — the days when running isn't on the schedule.

But no, I actually do want to do this.

Or maybe I'll just scrap this idea and go for the babies option...

Inappropriate!

But here's the routine. I'm not sure who this Hal Higdon character is, but he's old and apparently has run a lot of marathons, and from the looks of his propaganda-laden web site, seems to make a living by selling marathoning how-to books.

And as a side note, I'm always open for other people to run with. FYI. And it seems I'll be doing a lot of running in the next few months...

1 comment:

shawnkielty said...

Cool -- I always wanted to run a marathon -- I was thinking maybe before I was 50.