Thursday, January 05, 2006

Wedding opps winding down, up again

In a few days’ time, the last Britons will board their planes for the UK, and the bustling metropolis of Norman, Okla., will return to being Brit-less, that is of course for Mr. Samwise, who is for all purposes now an Okie.
I think I’ve mostly recovered from the late nights out and the good times from this last week leading to the wedding. Indeed, adventures make one late for not only dinner, but for the pillow as well. But, in my estimation, spending time with everyone and staying out till 5 a.m. following Sam and Laura’s wedding night was money in the bank. I made some mental notes of what I’d like in my wedding/reception, too. Here are a few:
1) A bride
2) Organ music
3) Speeches at the reception
4) Food and adult beverages at the reception
5) Lots of dancing at the reception

A byproduct of the Brit invasion/wedding party stay was a personally renewed sense of appreciation for Norman and Oklahoma. It can be hard to think objectively in a town one has lived in for nearly 17 years. I enjoyed observing the out-of-towners in their analysis of what’s hot and what’s not of Norman/Oklahoma sights and sounds. I tried to see Norman with new eyes — Euro eyes if you will. It was refreshing and encouraging hearing compliments regarding this Sooner state. It was good for me.
The final goodbyes will come in the next few days as the island dwellers will head back to their island in the fog and we North Ams are left to continue on with the usual, and unusual for the newly-weds.
But, there were some good contacts made and friendships forged such that future trips to The Island will be imminent methinks. Probably April as it turns out. But we’ll see about that. I’ll keep you blog posted.

As this wedding and accompanying jazz comes to a close, another one is taking the torch, keeping the nuptial flame alive. My best friend of old is getting married this Saturday and I’m to be the best man.
In addition to making me miss the RUF winter conference, this wedding represents the first of my direct, pre-college friends to tie the knot. It’s different this time. The mortar shell is striking just outside my foxhole with this one.
For a person who likes new things and change, I’m surprisingly sentimental (which is partly why I take so many pictures). This wedding will bring new things and I’m excited to see what unfolds for Dan and his to-be bride. I need to work on my speech for the rehearsal dinner.

________________________________


I also got my last baby tooth removed this week. This is the tooth causing all my oral woes and to which I owe the honor of wearing these glorious braces. So, two hours of prying and scraping, seven stitches and a lot of near passing out later, I was baby-tooth-less. Time for the Tooth Fairy to make one last visit. Below is my tooth.

No comments: