Well, Friday evening turned into quite an interesting evening indeed. Following an afternoon of mother's day shopping with Dave at undisclosed locations, I opened the evening's events off with the annual Student Media banquet.
This was nice, with some good times shared by all and university catered food to boot. There was a nice slide show depicting the year in pictures also. There were a couple of mine. Nothing too special.
A birthday party of a friend came next following the banquet. Arian, a good friend from high school was turning the big 2-0. Man, I'm old. It was a good time though, despite not knowing a lot of the mainly greek attendees.
Remnant's last concert with their current bassist, Nick Key, also an OU J-school grad incidentally, came next. It took place on the Union parking garage. Saw some Wildwood folks I hadn't seen in awhile-that was nice. It's odd that in a town as small as Norman you lose track of people.
*Tangent*
For instance, on Thursday night I was in Gourmet Vue con mis amigos del dormitorio a las once y media de la noche. We were chilling on the sofas in there, absorbing the trendy yet laid-back atmosphere when a guy comes up behind me and says "Hey John, it's me Sam." Confused, I look up over my shoulder at him as he stood over me. I didn't have a clue who the guy in a beanie standing before me was.
"I haven't seen you in like five years. What have you been up to," Sam Bonge, an old-time Wildwooder and friend asked.
What do you really say to that? "Well, I've done some stuff and gotten older mostly." I guess that would be the logical answer.
Anyway, it was just an interesting exchange. It was good to see ol' Sam. I'm glad he's in college. I didn't think the college life was for him if you know what I mean.
*End of Tangent*
Following the rockin' Remnant concert, a sweet OU tennis-team endorsed party came next. Me and some dorm peeps rolled over to Yorkshire apartments, the international student headquarters of Norman, to soak up the atmosphere of sweet tunes, skinny blonde chicks and cheap cold ones.
You see, Razvan (a.k.a. Boobie), one of the tennis guys, is leaving to go to Louisiana next year. Some school picked him up and he's getting mas dinero out of the deal.
So the party was in his honor. It's interesting to see guys from the Czech Republic simply throw back the brew with reckless abandon with little impact. Those Czechnians can HOLD their liquor for sure.
We exited the raucous party not long thereafter, leaving the bumping and the grinding to the OU athletes.
The night unoficially ended with me winning my first ever match of ping-pong. It was pretty anti-climactic. I beat Dave's youger sister's boyfriend who is up visiting from Houston for the weekend with Dave's sister.
I actually claimed my first victory on the same pong table upon which only hours earlier a borderline fight had taken place. It amounted to an RA getting a pong paddle thrown at him and punched in the face by a football player over a game of pong. It was thrilling. It really stirred up the dorm community and there was talk by the RA of pressing charges.
"Stoops is going to find out about this by tomorrow," the RA said hotly and confidently several hours after the fight. "I'm gonna be sitting on the 50-yardline next season."
You make the call...
So...this was my Friday evening. Quite a whirlwind of activity, no? Now I'm craving the sack, looking forward to pushing the small OFF button on my alarm clock, thus preventing a mid-REM cycle awakening. Oh my, Saturday morning is a beautiful thing.
3 comments:
Hey J Ssstu. Who was the RA that was punched? That's kind of funny (except the whole punching part of course). Okay, sssee ya.
Sam Bonge! I haven't seen him in years, how is he? Does my instantly recognizing his name on your blog speak more to my superior memory, or my inability to make friends since middle-school?
Perhaps both Norm. I recognized him after a second glance, it just took me a minute. His sudden and unexpected approach caught me off guard.
Post a Comment