Monday, May 02, 2005

nostalgia running deep

Sheesh. I pulled out the old photo archive CD's today (the ones with my first few gigs of digital pictures). Upon the viewing of certain pictures, my sentimentality increased with each passing frame. Particularly the ones with my now deceased grandpa in them, and also the ones with some of my "battle buddies" from basic training.
Perhaps what was most stirring to me, in the case of my Army friends, is the knowledge that most likely I won't ever see these people again. I know for certain that four of my closest six friends from B.T. are now deployed in the Middle East.
I'm also coming off a weekend of drill during which I saw two drill sergeants who I had during basic training. It was very odd. I remember now that they are both in my same division (95th Division), but seeing them at the big dinner party thing Saturday night, shooting the poo-poo and drinking bud light with a napkin wrapped around it (it's highclass, truly) really brought back some memories of those 9 weeks.

Sheesh.

On a lighter note, I pulled up my Rose Bowl pics from 2002 when I traveled 56 hrs in a bus with The Pride. I found some memorable photographic gems. There was Universal Studios, Disney Land, Santa Monca Pier, the flippin' long rose parade, and finally the absolute victory over WSU in OU's first ever appearance in The Grandaddy of Them All-The Rose Bowl. I snapped a shot of a gas station in LA as we were pulling out of town, headed back OK-side. Regular unleaded gasoline in LA at this particular station was $1.55/gallon. Premium was $1.75. How quickly things change...

Thus closes this chapter of my nostalgia running deep. *Photos available upon request.

No comments: