Wednesday, July 20, 2005

away 14, home 2, away 18

As this two-week annual training fiesta comes to a close (only 1.5 more days), I turn to the events ahead.

It is interesting, the life of a twentysomething male with no attachments to speak of. Many here turn to talk of home, family, kids, significant others, and their desire to "get back" to wherever they come from as our time here draws to a close.
"Yeah, I've got some dogs at home...huh huh," I think to myself.

But I see how it is hard for some of these folks, emotionally and logistically to leave for even 14 days (not that that is a short time necessarily) and it just makes me stop and ponder. Not experiencing these emotions myself in any real fashion, it's hard to fathom what leaving a wife and a family of four would be like.
Just a little thought...


As I look toward my Friday arrival back in Oklahoma, I'm getting not a little stoked for the next trip, the "fun" and excellently civilian trip starting Monday.
I think of The Hobbit (the animated version). The sweet song in the beginning where Bilbo's tokin' his pipe on the porch with Gandalf after their big departure-meal with the dwarves.

"The greatest adventure is what lies ahead," this is really the only line I can remember from it, but that would be a sweet theme song for my trip, no?

The good news about my trip is that I made contact with Das Belschners away over in Germany and I'm slated to visit them as well as those silly English on The Island.

So, the plan is to cheel in Nottingham for about a week, then rock out to BMW-land for about 5-6 days. I'll make a stop in Munich for a few to visit a cousin before railing my way up to the Belschners near Frankfurt. Tami said a mini France-tour (no not like the bike race silly) might not be out of the question, too. Sounds pretty bueno to me.

Anywho, I look forward to these adventures, though horrendous exchange rates and unshaven, aromatic peoples should bar the way. This is no "mission trip" ladies and gentlemen. I'll be friggin' on vacation. Hold my calls. Tell Freddy to sell my stock if it drops below 15.

1 comment:

Matthryn said...

Nottingham. Now that simply sounds made up. It sounds like the desires of an olive, you know, where it wants to be in life - not in ham. That is what it sounds like to me. Not an actual place. Or sound theory. It's an olive declaring that it desires to be not in ham. Or ham loaf. Or spinach loaf. Sometimes I speak Spench too, John. And it comes out quite naturally. Hey, I'll send that postcard you requested, but only after I get the money for the postage.