Thursday, July 14, 2005

PT all day long...

There's nothing quite like starting the day out right with some pushups, situps and running. Unfortunately, these three events came to to me at six this morning in the form of an Army Physical Training Test. Contrary to how I felt at the start of the day (tired and sluggish), at the close of the three events, I came out alright, by-gum.

I don't really know why I get nervous before the start of a PT test. Call it runner's anxiety. Going in, I knew I wanted to do better than last time, with last time being in July of '04.

But to understand a PT test, one must understand what PT is like in the Army. Start with a thick, gray shirt (which allows zero air penetration) with a funky graphic on the back and some mesh-like shorts that are ill-fitting. These are the standard uniform.
The shorts really are retarded. The crotch is sewn-in about six inches too low, there aren't any pockets (cause you never put your hands in the pockets of your uniform of course), and the length is very European.
Thankfully, the uniform looks equally retarded on everyone, so it's a tolerable evil. I do have to say I'm a fan of the built-in underwear though. Truly an engineering marvel. But I digress...
There is a host of sounds, smells and emotions that go along with Army PT from the perma-rank uniform to the mid-jog cadences. It is truly a unique, healthful activity.
Thus, the PT test is the pinnacle of this exertic phenomenon--the literal putting of dinero where your boca is.

So there I was at six this morning, pumping out some mean pushups and situps next to Jorge Horton. I beat him at the pushups, but he surpassed me on situps by 17. Bummer.
The run went better than expected though, as the gravel track we ran on was predicted to yield less-than-satisfactory results. At the close of the run I was feeling probably about the worst I've ever felt while running. Lungs burning, face flushed and non-breathing uniform saturated with my body's attempt at climate control, I crossed the sketchy finish line etched in the gravel, chalking up a personal-best time on PT test record. I was relieved and happy to not be running anymore.
George still beat me by seven seconds, but altogether I improved by 20 seconds from "last time", and at least it was cloudy and "mostly" cool.

But here are the stats (if you're interested):

Me:
Pushups-78
Situps-65
2-mile run-13:02
Total score-283(of 300)

Jorge:
Pushups-73
Situps-82
2-mile run-12:55
Total score-296(of 300)

*Note: situps and pushups performed in two-minute intervals

Thus, this was truly a grand PT experience. If any of you get the chance, the next time an Army PT formation jogs past your front door, hop on out and do a couple of miles. It will be a sensory experience, if not more.

2 comments:

Laura Negus said...

oh boy, all the cajoling finally paid off, huh chubby. I'm surprised at Jorge, though, I though he was letting himself go, you know, slacking off, putting on a few, apparently not. Maybe that was just you. oooh... zing

clinicole said...

Way to bring your A game, Stuart.